Note: View the main DIGITAL IMAGING page for tutorials and resources.
“As a recognized subset of photorealism, hyperrealism takes into account a process of simulation that emphasizes digital degradation, defects and deficiencies of pictorial elements in modern photography and digital imagery. Therefore, content of subject matter is a separate medium through which viewers can connect to reality through the falsity and simulation of the image, which ironically is convincing. While I rely upon digital photographs as aesthetic references, I create simulations of reality rather than representations (Photorealism) of simulations (photos) which themselves are already representations of reality. In other words, Photorealism depicts an illusion of photography while Hyperrealism depicts an illusion of reality. Subtle distinctions, yet significant.” Denis Peterson
Week #1 – Hyper-Realism Introduction
1) Decide upon 3-5 concepts using a sustainable non-profit organization or you may decide upon concepts not related to sustainability. You may present both, concepts of your own and some sustainable initiative. There is a SUSTAINABILITY web page found on this blog for resources or ideas.
2) Upload your 3-5 photos for EACH concept (3-5) You may use public domain or google or your own photos. Be sure to save the URL where the image was found to seek copyright permissions.
3) Each concept must have 3-5 photos with an explanation
4) Explain your favorite concept and why?
5) On your WP site be sure to link a cross-references that will support your theme/concept. (ex. What other hyper-realism examples inspired your concept.)
Week #2 – Present Concept/Theme photos (3-5)
1) Sketch a rough mockup for composite (3-5 sketches) upload to WP
STUDENT EXAMPLE: 3-5 Sketches for the ONE CONCEPT
2) Take and upload a few more photos of subject matter for final composition
3) Write a brief statement about your theme/concept upload to WP (3-5 versions) *
Week #3 – Present Rough Sketches of composition (3-5)
1) Begin to assemble your rough composite (3-5 composites) for presentation
2) Extract your desired images from the photos – use PS editing tools as demonstrated in class tutorials – see WP imaging page for review of tools
3) Present your rough composite for feedback – upload feedback to WP
Week #4 – Present Rough Composite (3-5) photoshop files (use format as discussed)
1) From class comments begin to tweak/re-edit (layers) to improve composition and quality of work. Check blending and composition as discussed in class.
2) Edit the multiple edges of layers from the extracted photos
3) * Edit your final statement for presentation
Week #5 – Present Hyper-Realism Composite!
1) New assignment – Take new photos – View Cubism Assignment page
2) Continue to edit composition if class/instructor decides it still needs work or receive final grade for Final Composite!
(see instructor for final assignment grade)
3) You may present your Final Composite during Case Study presentation (Final Exam week)